Friday, September 10, 2010

Mini Freezer Cooking Day!

FishMama and Money Saving Mom are hosting another Freezer Cooking Day next week!

I won't be doing a major freezer cooking day, but I had an impromptu sort of "freezer cooking day" today. I was able to get a Gold 'n Plump whole chicken at Festival for $3.98 today. Since that's such a great price for chicken, I decided today would be my first attempt at cooking a whole chicken.

It seems to be working okay so far...the chicken "carcass" is simmering on the stove now for my homemade chicken broth. I have plenty of cooked chicken to put in the freezer for future use: it should work well in my Chicken and Rice Casserole and maybe chicken tacos. My husband hinted that he might like some on a nice, crisp salad. I'm excited to have chicken broth in the freezer, ready for use whenever I need it.

I have also found that I like making Gluten-free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins in a large batch and then freezing them. It is so great to pull one or two out for breakfast or a snack! I am going to get that recipe posted next week.

**Update: My broth turned out great. I haven't used it yet, but I'm so glad to know it's in my freezer and ready to use whenever I need it. I read a great tip online about how to store frozen chicken broth: Freeze it in regular-size muffin tins. Once frozen, pop them out and store them in a freezer bag - so easy! Each "disc" equals about 1/4 cup of broth.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your tip on storing the broth! That will come in handy when I start my own freezer cooking ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!