To make this a meal, I add 3/4 lb. of browned hamburger and voila! We have a skillet dinner - add some veggies and bread and dinner is done! Add in shredded cheese for an extra treat.
Homemade Spanish Rice
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (try homemade!)
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- chopped garlic - about 2 cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. parsley
- Heat oil in saucepan. Saute garlic and onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add dry rice to saucepan. Stir for about 5 minutes until rice is starting to brown.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce and parsley to saucepan. Be careful to add it to the rice and not directly on the hot pan!
- Stir everything together and bring the contents to a boil.
- Once it's boiling, turn heat down to low and cover pan.
- Allow rice mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- If you're making a "skillet meal," add in the hamburger and shredded cheese before serving.