Monday, June 6, 2011

Recipe: Homemade Spanish Rice {gluten free!}


One of the recipes that I've learned to make over the past year (in my quest to make more things "homemade") is Spanish Rice. I always liked Spanish Rice when I was growing up and I enjoyed making it "from scratch." It really is very easy - and tastes delicious!

To make this a meal, I add 3/4 lb. of browned hamburger and voila! We have a skillet dinner - add some veggies and bread and dinner is done! Add in shredded cheese for an extra treat.

Homemade Spanish Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of rice
  • 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (try homemade!)
  • 2/3 cup tomato sauce
  • chopped garlic - about 2 cloves
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1/3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp. parsley
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in saucepan. Saute garlic and onion for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Add dry rice to saucepan. Stir for about 5 minutes until rice is starting to brown.
  3. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce and parsley to saucepan. Be careful to add it to the rice and not directly on the hot pan!
  4. Stir everything together and bring the contents to a boil.
  5. Once it's boiling, turn heat down to low and cover pan.
  6. Allow rice mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
  7. If you're making a "skillet meal," add in the hamburger and shredded cheese before serving.
AllergyFreeWednesdays

2 comments:

  1. What tasty rice this must be! This would be a perfect addition to any dinner. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

    Be Well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on homemade Spanish Rice and I still love it. YUMMMM!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!