Saturday, January 29, 2011

Impromptu freezer cooking day!

My husband was gone for the morning and since I had the house to myself, I started cooking. And...I didn't stop for several hours! In the end, I had basically just done a 1/2 day of freezer cooking! My new Food Saver machine (one of our Christmas gifts) certainly got a workout, too!

Here's what I made:
  • 1 pound of homemade Sloppy Joes. I froze it in two 1/2 pound packages for quick, easy meals.
  • 2 pounds of taco meat with homemade taco seasoning. I will use a 1/2 pound for Tuesday's taco pasta. I froze the rest in 1/2 pound packages like the sloppy joe meat.
  • 1 batch of homemade pizza sauce. This will go in the freezer.
  • 1 batch of homemade gluten-free cinnamon rolls. I used this recipe (for the first time) and was pleasantly surprised at how yummy they are! (And for the record, these are actually much simpler than the recipe makes them sound!) I ate one, kept one out for Sunday morning, and am freezing the rest. They'll be great for quick breakfasts!
  • Made some breadcrumbs in my blender. I ran out of my stash in the freezer tonight, so it was time! I just put gluten free bread in my blender. I freeze it in a freezer bag and then use it as I need it. When I make anything using breadcrumbs (like breaded chicken or in a meatloaf), I only use GF breadcrumbs (never regular), so my husband has GF and doesn't mind!
It's so nice to be able to pull sloppy joe meat or taco meat out of the freezer on a weeknight, when dinner has to be quick. I never do large-scale freezer cooking, but I will do small batches like this when I have time (and when the mood strikes!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!