Sunday, February 20, 2011

Recipe: Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls


For all you gluten-free readers out there, raise your hand if you miss cinnamon rolls. Ah, yes, I thought there would be quite a few!

I have had a few store-bought cinnamon rolls since my diagnosis, but they are pricey and difficult to find around here. So, I have been searching for a recipe for gluten-free cinnamon rolls. I started with this recipe and have basically simplified it for you here.

As I am with all my baking, I was skeptical that these would be yummy. But, boy was I wrong! These are delicious cinnamon rolls! I froze mine in a freezer bag and have been pulling one out at a time for breakfast.

I would recommend using a stand mixer for this recipe. I only have a hand mixer and that really isn't strong enough. If you don't have a stand mixer, you might try your hands instead.

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients
  • Rolls
    • 2 Tbsp. butter.
    • 1/4 c. sugar.
    • 2/3 c. milk, at room temperature.
    • 1 packet yeast (about 1 Tbsp.).
    • 1 egg.
    • 1/4 c. canola oil.
    • 1/2 c. potato starch or potato flour.
    • 1 c. cornstarch.
    • 1/4 tsp. baking soda.
    • 2 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum.
    • 2 tsp. baking powder.
    • 1/2 tsp. salt.
    • 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
  • Filling
    • 1 c. brown sugar.
    • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
  • Glaze
    • 3/4 c. powdered sugar.
    • Milk, to thicken.
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine butter and sugar. Mix well.
  3. Add yeast to warm milk. Whisk well to fully dissolve. Allow mixture to sit for a few minutes.
  4. Add yeast mixture to butter and sugar mixture.
  5. Add all of the remaining ingredients and be sure to mix very well. The dough will be soft.
  6. Lay plastic wrap on counter. Place dough on plastic wrap and put another piece of plastic wrap on top of the dough.
  7. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a square.
  8. After removing the top layer of plastic wrap, sprinkle filling mixture over flat dough.
  9. Roll the dough into a cylinder. Roll carefully and keep the filling inside.
  10. Slice your cylinder into 9 sections. Place the cinnamon rolls into a lightly-greased 9" pie plate.
  11. Bake approximately 20 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned.
  12. Combine powdered sugar and milk for glaze. Add small amounts of milk a little bit at a time in order to achieve the consistency you want. Drizzle glaze over rolls before serving.
Enjoy a delicious gluten-free treat!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!