Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Where do I buy gluten free foods?


I am often asked, "Where do you buy gluten free foods? What specially-marked gluten free products do you buy?"

Truthfully, we don't purchase a lot of specifically gluten-free foods. They are generally very over-priced and their quality & taste certainly leave something to be desired!

Like I mentioned in my post about my pantry, we focus more on "real, whole foods" - meat, veggies, fruit, potatoes, rice. Our meals are generally built around these types of foods. Now, we are not an organic family and don't intend to go that route, but we have been focusing more on whole foods and less on processed foods.

We do eat baked goods - some are made from scratch and others are purchased at the store. Just in the past year, we have come in a long way in our eating habits. I am always re-evaluating how we approach eating - and I focus on making small changes. One of my goals in my role as a homemaker is to learn how to make more foods from scratch.


With all of that in mind, here's a look at where I do purchase some gluten-free foods:
Most of my other pantry staples (like sugar, salt/pepper, spices, baking soda/powder, canned goods, etc.) are purchased at Aldi's.

*I also want to clarify: we live in a very rural area and have very little access to grocery stores. Because of this, I have found it much easier and much more affordable to purchase grocery products online. Before we moved here, I never considered doing such a thing - but now it's second nature!

The only time I usually use processed gluten-free foods or box mixes is when someone gives them to me. Some people seem to think I am deprived or something since I can't have gluten - but that is so far from the truth! Honestly, I prefer making it myself now!

What specially-labeled gluten free products do you purchase? Where do you buy them? Do you like to cook and bake from scratch?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!