Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Top 10 Series: the top 10 Health and Beauty product I buy


Inspired by recent discussion at Money Saving Mom.com about the top items that people should buy or should not buy, I am running a series in April and May about the top 10 things I purchase or don't purchase regularly.

Some of the points are actual physical items; other points are a bit more broad. In many cases, the reason I purchase a specific item is because we have a brand preference - and we choose to save money elsewhere in the budget so we can afford that specific item!

In April, I will share the top 10 things I purchase in four different categories: food, household products, health and beauty products and other miscellaneous products around the home.

These lists will be based on my opinions and my purchasing habits. Each individual and family will have different priorities for how money is spent. If your priorities are different, that's okay!

Here are the top 10 health and beauty products that I purchase, in no specific order:

1. Listerine (or Scope) - I used to have trouble with mouth sores (runs in the family...), but I don't get them when I use mouthwash daily. Because of this, I make it a priority to use only name brand mouthwash. I can usually find it on sale, but I do try to stock up with several bottles at a time when I find it at my buy price.

2. Crest with Scope toothpaste - My husband happens to be partial to this toothpaste, so I buy it. Not a battle worth fighting, in my opinion! (I will use whatever toothpaste I get for free, so it all balances out!)

3. Floss picks - Both my husband and I prefer floss picks to regular dental floss. If it means we floss regularly, then floss picks are worth the cost!

4. Head and Shoulders shampoo - Man, this stuff is pricey, but it's a necessary evil!

5.  Shaving gel - I stick with name brand shave gels (NOT foam) for both of us.

6.  Cetirizine allergy medicine - Both of us use this allergy medicine daily, during at least part of the year. I have never used name-brand allergy medicine, which certainly helps the cost. But, I won't use any other type of allergy medicine, either!

7. Visine eye drops - I use eye drops (both contact drops and allergy drops) regularly and actually can usually get Visine for less than store brand! I do prefer Visine, though.

8. Antiperspirant/deodorant - This is just one of those items for which we have strong brand preferences. I use either Dry Idea antiperspirant or Secret Clinical. I usually buy either Axe, Gillette or Old Spice antiperspirant for my husband.

9. Razors and blades - I only buy name-brand razors and blades. There's just no other option! (Like I've said before, buying the entire razor as part of a deal is usually cheaper than buying replacement blades.)

10. Hand cream - I have very dry skin, so I prefer creams like Eucerin or Cera Ve. Both are pricey, but very necessary.

To catch up on the previous installments in this series:
  1. the top 10 food products I buy
  2. the top 10 household products I buy

2 comments:

  1. Interesting list... I wished you lived closer because I have a bunch of visine in my stockpile and I don't use it :) MY dad uses it and he says that he can't go through it fast enough. I am going to have to put more thought into this one because since couponing, things have gotten so much cheaper for expensive stuff like shampoo. You have got my brain working... maybe I will get together a post on this one too if you don't mind me stealing your topic again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do like my Visine - wish you lived closer, too! :)

      And I agree, so many items become "cheap" once you start couponing! I have tried so many new "expensive" kinds of health & beauty products since I started couponing seriously 2.5 years ago.

      You can certainly post your own list - go for it!

      Delete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!