Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Gluten Free Butterhorns {dinner rolls}


Inspired by Crystal's Butterhorn dinner rolls, I set out to create a gluten free version recently. After all, I make the regular ones for my husband all the time - don't I deserve some, too?!

This is actually a very simple recipe, especially because it involves making your bread machine do all the work. :)

In the end, I really didn't have to make any drastic changes to the original recipe. The full recipe is at the bottom of this post.


Add all of the ingredients to your bread machine pan, in the order listed. Set your machine on the dough and let it work its magic. In the first 10-15 minutes of mixing, I usually scrape down the sides of the pan to make sure everything is incorporated into the dough.


When your dough is finished, separate it into three equal parts.


Next, you will roll out one ball of dough. I suggest adding about one tablespoon of gluten free flour to each ball and kneading it before attempting to roll it out.

Cut each circle into eight triangular pieces. I use a pizza wheel for this.


Then roll each triangle, starting with the wider end. Place them on a cookie sheet for baking.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 11 minutes. I advise watching them carefully because oven temperatures certainly vary.

Gluten Free Butterhorns

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup salted butter, diced
  • 2 eggs
  • 4.5 cups gluten free flour (I use and recommend Better Batter.)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. yeast
Directions
  1. Add all ingredients to bread machine pan, in order listed.
  2. Set dough cycle on bread machine and start.
  3. Separate dough into three equal parts.
  4. Add about a tablespoon of gluten free flour to each section of dough and knead.
  5. Roll out each section of dough and slice into eight equal triangles.
  6. Roll each triangle into a "crescent roll" and place on baking sheet.
  7. Bake at 375 degrees for about 11 minutes.
*These rolls freeze very well!

*Recipe adapted from Crystal at Money Saving Mom.

This recipe is linked at Allergy Free Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Emily! Can you do this without a bread machine? Would you just knead it for a while? I am truly a bread-making idiot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it without a bread machine, but I'm sure you could. (I'm a bread-making idiot when it comes to not having a bread machine!)

      You could use a stand mixer with the kneading paddle. Or knead by hand, and then let the dough rise for awhile (although, it will not rise a lot, so don't let that trip you up).

      If you try it, report back and let me know. Then I can add that to the recipe. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, thank you for nice recipe. I am stopping by from euforiaconfections.com please come and visit https://www.facebook.com/EuforiaCake and enter Halloween Contest to win 12 cake sampler of euforia thousand-layer cake.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=435797793124289&set=a.203815409655863.47041.197557770281627&type=1&theater

    Thank you
    euforia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am HUGE Better Batter Fan too!! I'd love to have you link this up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe link up over at vegetarianmamma.com It actually will go live tonight at 7:05 pm eastern! We are having a giveaway this week from Domata Gluten Free Products! Hope that you can join us, I'd love for you to share some of your awesome goodies!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!