Monday, June 13, 2011

Freezer Cooking over the weekend

We had a quiet weekend, so I took the opportunity to do some "freezer cooking" in small batches throughout the weekend. By Sunday night, I realized I had actually accomplished quite a bit!

Photo credit

On Saturday, I made one batch of Gluten-Free Strawberry Banana muffins (I will confess that I added chocolate chips to them, too!). This was a new recipe and they are so yummy! I froze them and will pull them out as needed (this is what I do with all of our muffins and breads).

Photo credit

I also made a batch of Gluten Free Chocolate Biscuits. This was an experiment, and I thought they turned out pretty good. I am looking forward to having these with ice cream and fresh strawberries! I was given a container of unsweetened cocoa and have been trying to come up with ways to use it!

Then, I tried to make marshmallow fudge - This was definitely not a success. It was a total experiment - and it failed. I will say that it tastes okay, but it didn't "set" at all, so it's like chocolate goo instead of fudge! I have come to the realization that I simply cannot make fudge. Period.

Photo credit

On Sunday evening, I put together three quart-size freezer bags of Homemade Frozen hash browns. I baked a bunch of potatoes and then shredded them into hash browns. This is so handy for those dinners when I need something fast.


Also on Sunday, I froze one pound of strawberries (that I got at Aldi for .99!). I flash-froze them on a cookie sheet, put them in a freezer bag, and then sprinkled sugar on them. They will be perfect to put over ice cream or in a smoothie!


I found a great website over the weekend, too, which is full of gluten free recipes: Gluten Free on a Shoestring. What I liked instantly about her website is the fact that she doesn't use any specialty, hard-to-find ingredients. Her recipes all contain ingredients that I usually have on hand, which is so nice. I have quite the list of recipes that I want to try this summer. :) I can't wait to break out my new Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixer once we move!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!