Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Book review: The Money Saving Mom's Budget


I recently had the opportunity to review a preview copy of Crystal Paine's new book, The Money Saving Mom's Budget, which is set to release on January 10, 2012.

Crystal blogs at Money Saving Mom.com - and I love her blog! I have learned so much about intentional living, goal setting, frugal living, deal seeking and more from her.

I took her new book along with me on my train trip in early December and raced right through it. It was a very quick and easy read. Overall, I enjoyed the book and learned quite a bit from it. While much of what Crystal writes about in the book is also on her blog, she does a great job of expanding on some topics, such as goal setting and saving money without using coupons.

Crystal is a huge proponent of a "cash only" lifestyle - which I do agree works for some people. I don't think cash only a bad idea, but I also think it's important to examine both sides of the issue. For some families, using cash may not be a good idea - and that is not addressed in the book. The book also makes a few bold statements about why credit cards are one's worst enemy and how cashback rewards are a rip-off. I tend to disagree with both of those statements, based on what works in our family.

However, those few minor disagreements will not keep me from recommending the book! I think this book is especially valuable for families that are new to budgeting and living below their means. On the other hand, it also offers sound wisdom for families that are already well into that journey.

Currently, you can pre-order The Money Saving Mom's Budget on Amazon right now for $11.09. As with any pre-order, if the price drops before its release date (January 10), you will pay the lower price.

Disclaimer: I was provided a free preview copy of The Money Saving Mom's Budget in order to review it for you. All opinions expressed here are purely my own.

2 comments:

  1. I find credit cards to be a necessary evil in this day and age, with online buying, even though I think they are awful for people who have no self control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree with you, Martha. I've heard horror stories about using debit cards online and people getting scammed & losing money. There's so much more protection with a credit card!

      However, it definitely depends on the person and family - that's why believe it's so tough to say all-encompassing statements (like all credit cards are evil -- or that an all-cash system is evil!).

      Delete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!