Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Buy Prices = Pantry, snacks and beverages


Last week, I shared my buy prices for meat, product, dairy and frozen items. This week, we'll look at my buy prices for pantry items, snack foods, and beverages.

Don't forget...

Please remember that these are my buy prices - not yours! Our prices may be similar on some items and vastly different on other items. I live in a very rural area - for higher quality, better stores, I drive 30 minutes. It's over an hour to Target!

I keep a mental list of my buy prices and can look back at my Super Savings Saturday posts to find prices for items. I encourage you to pay attention to the sales and the prices you regularly pay for products in your area to find your buy prices.

When I find an item on sale that meets my buy price (or is lower), I buy extra - however many my budget will allow. Knowing my buy prices also means that I know at which stores I generally buy certain items. I do occasionally pay more than my buy price for item depending on the circumstances, but I try not to do that unless I really have to. It's all about what fits in the budget in a given month!

For comparison on how prices have changed in the past twelve months, take a look back at my 2011 prices.

Baking Items
  • Oil - $2.50 per 48 oz.
  • Olive oil - $3 per 17 oz. bottle (Aldi).
  • Granulated sugar - $3 per 5 lb. bag.
  • Brown sugar - $1.50 per 2 lb. bag.
  • Flour - $2.50 for unbleached (my preference); $2 for bleached (five pound bags).
  • Gluten free flour - $2.50-$3 per lb. (I like Better Batter and Meister's GF flour).
  • Yeast - under $4 for a 4 oz. jar.

Canned and Boxed Goods
  • Soup - $1 per can.
  • Vegetables - Under $0.50 per can (we don't eat canned veggies, though).
  • Fruit - $0.50-$0.75 per can.
  • Tomato products
    • Tomato paste - $0.20-$0.40 per 6 oz. can.
    • Tomato sauce - $0.30 per 8 oz. can.
    • Diced tomatoes - $0.60-$0.70 per 15 oz. can.
    • Crushed tomatoes - $0.90 for 28 oz. (Aldi).
    • Pizza sauce - I make my own.
  • Cereal - $1-$1.50/box.
  • Tortillas
    • Flour - $0.99 per 10 ct. package.
    • Corn - $1.20 per 30 ct. package.

Sauces, Condiments, Dressings, etc.
  • Peanut butter - $2 for 16-18 oz. jar. (about $0.10 per ounce)
  • Jelly - under $1 per jar.
  • Salad dressing - under $1.50 per bottle.
  • Pasta sauce - $1 for 24 oz.
  • Ketchup - $1.20 for 32 oz. (Aldi).
  • Mustard - $0.70 per 14 oz. bottle.
  • Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip - $2 per 30 oz. bottle.

Pasta and Rice
  • Whole wheat pasta - under $1.25 per pound.
  • Gluten free pasta - $2 per pound.
  • Long grain rice - $1.75 per 3 lb. bag.
  • Instant rice - $1.35 per box.

Spices and Seasonings
  • Taco seasoning - under $0.40 per packet (but I make my own now).
  • Single spices - approximately $1-$1.25/jar (Aldi).

Beverages
  • 100% juice - $1.25 for concentrate.
  • Orange juice - $1.50 for half gallon.
  • Coffee - $2-$3 for 11 oz. canister (but we only keep coffee on hand for guests).
  • Soda - under $3 for a 12 pack.
  • Bottled water - $0.10 per bottle (although we do not buy bottled water).

Candy and Cookies
  • Chocolate candies - $1-$1.50 per bag.
  • Chocolate chips - $1.69 per bag (Aldi).
  • Packaged cookies - under $1.50 (a rare treat!).

Chips and Crackers
  • Tortilla chips - $1.20 per bag (Aldi).
  • Potato chips - $1.50-$2 per bag (although we haven't been buying potato chips).
  • Crackers - $1.50 per box.
  • Gluten free crackers - I make my own!
  • Popcorn - $0.21 per individual microwave bag.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!