Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Homemade Pizza Sauce

One of my "projects" in the fall was to make my own pizza sauce. I found a recipe from Jessica at Good Cheap Eats that tastes delicious and isn't too difficult to make.

After making it on Saturday, I have determined that it is no longer safe for me to start by heating the olive oil, like Jessica does. Every time I try that, I manage to create quite the mess in my kitchen! So, I've altered the recipe a bit, based on what works for me.

This freezes really well. I usually make an entire batch and then freeze it. I just thaw it when I'm ready to use it, and I've had no problem re-freezing it.

Homemade Pizza Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup olive oil.
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic (You could probably also throw in garlic powder and be fine.).
  • 28 oz. can diced (or crushed) tomatoes.
  • 1 T basil.
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano.
  • 1 tsp. salt.
  • 6 oz. can tomato paste.
Directions
  1. Heat olive oil and garlic together in sauce pan. Trust me when I tell you, don't heat it very much!
  2. Allow the oil to cool a bit before proceeding.
  3. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt. Please be careful when you do this!
  4. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
  5. Blend in tomato paste. I have used my immersion blender with success.
  6. Cook for a few more minutes. Allow sauce to cool.
  7. This can be refrigerated or frozen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!