After making it on Saturday, I have determined that it is no longer safe for me to start by heating the olive oil, like Jessica does. Every time I try that, I manage to create quite the mess in my kitchen! So, I've altered the recipe a bit, based on what works for me.
This freezes really well. I usually make an entire batch and then freeze it. I just thaw it when I'm ready to use it, and I've had no problem re-freezing it.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (You could probably also throw in garlic powder and be fine.).
- 28 oz. can diced (or crushed) tomatoes.
- 1 T basil.
- 1/2 tsp. oregano.
- 1 tsp. salt.
- 6 oz. can tomato paste.
- Heat olive oil and garlic together in sauce pan. Trust me when I tell you, don't heat it very much!
- Allow the oil to cool a bit before proceeding.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt. Please be careful when you do this!
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Blend in tomato paste. I have used my immersion blender with success.
- Cook for a few more minutes. Allow sauce to cool.
- This can be refrigerated or frozen.