Monday, January 31, 2011

Homemade Sloppy Joes {Gluten Free!}

One of my go-to freezer meals is sloppy joes. Since I started making homemade sloppy joe meat, we have found that we like it better than the canned stuff. (Imagine that!)

I work until about 5:15 Monday through Thursday nights right now, so it's really important that I have quick meals on the menu plan for those nights. Quite often, one of us (or both of us) has something at church after dinner, too. I usually make taco meat (with homemade seasoning!) and sloppy joe meat and then freeze (using our new Food Saver machine!). Then, I can thaw, heat in the crockpot (or on the stove), and have a simple meal ready in no time!

Here's my simple and frugal Sloppy Joe recipe:

Inredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef.
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped.
  • 1/2 cup ketchup.
  • 1/4 cup water.
  • about 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped.
  • splash of lemon juice.
  • 1/2 T. brown sugar.
  • 3/4 tsp. salt.
  • 3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce.
  • splash of vinegar.
Directions:
  1. Brown ground beef and onion together.
  2. Add remaining ingredients.
  3. Simmer on low for 25-30 minutes. If you're planning to warm this in a crockpot, you can skip this step.
  4. Allow mixture to cool. Divide into appropriate portions and freeze.
  5. To serve: thaw and reheat.

1 comment:

  1. I got your link from money saving mom. I am going to make this tonight! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!