Sunday, April 29, 2012

April Reading Update: The Tightwad Gazette


For the past two and a half weeks, I've been reading "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn. This book is nearly 1,000 pages long, so it took me quite awhile to get through it!

The Complete Tightwad Gazette was a newsletter (by subscription) about frugal living that was published in the 90s. This was obviously before the advent of frugal living blogs on the Internet! The newsletter ran for six years and in the end, the articles from the newsletters were compiled into three books. Those three books were then put together into one huge book - which is the one that I read.

I did really enjoy reading the book. It was packed full of helpful nuggets about living frugally. I also really appreciated Amy's balanced approach to "tightwaddery." She was extremely careful to present both sides of all issues, which I really enjoyed.

While some of her suggestions (obviously) no longer apply today (such as VHS, typewriter, old-fasioned printers, etc.), many of her tips are still very relevant. If you're up for a long book - but an easy read - I'd recommend The Complete Tightwad Gazette!

*I also read A Love That Multiplies and Margin in April.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading that book. I found the out of date tips funny and the ones that were still good today wonderful. I am glad you liked it... but it really is a time investment (and heavy to carry if you were planning on leaving the house).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was an entertaining book! And yes, it was a beast to lug out of the house. ;)

      Delete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!