Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Reading Update: Margin and A Love That Multiplies

Last week, I read two books: "Margin" by Richard Swenson and "A Love That Multiplies" by Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar. I set out to read 36 books in 2012 and so far, I have read 12 books!


"Margin" was a great book about the importance of margin. This year, I have been focusing heavily on being more disciplined with my time. I have been using the practice of goal-setting to accomplish this. Setting goals and sticking to them has made such a difference in my life! I am finding that I accomplish more than I ever thought possible.

I feel that I have some margin in my life, but I could always use more - couldn't we all? Swenson's book provides practical, straight-forward "prescriptions" for creating more emotional, physical, financial and time margins in life.

If you are looking for more time to do the things you love, I highly recommend Swenson's book "Margin."


"A Love That Multiplies" was a very intriguing book. This book provides details about how the Duggars make it work with their family of 19 children.

There are some aspects of their family life that I believe are absolutely wonderful and there are other aspects with which I do not agree. However, I still really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone. If nothing else, it gets you thinking about how their principles could potentially work in your own home.

I believe that it's important to read as much as you can about parenting, children, family life, etc. While you may not agree with everything you read, the information you learn helps you form opinions about what you want to do in your own family. Even though we don't have children yet, I still find it important to read whatever I can - it helps me begin to form beliefs and opinions now, which (I hope!) will make me a more informed and intentional parent.

After reading "A Love That Multiplies," I have decided that now I need to read the Duggar's first book, "20 and Counting," too!

2 comments:

  1. I think that I am going to have to add Margin to my list of books that I want to read which is getting bigger then the amount of time that I have in a day (let alone the whole year). I am still on the fence about the Duggar's book but your point is really valid. It helps to think and form your ideas when faced with possibly conflicting ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I read every book with a somewhat "open mind." I assume that I won't agree with everything, but surely I can learn something, right?!

      Delete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!