Friday, October 29, 2010

Freezer Cooking: Part 1

I spent about 4 hours in my tiny kitchen on Thursday afternoon doing a big batch of freezer cooking. I accomplished so much and am so glad to have a few meals in the freezer, plus a few other items.

I started by cooking my chicken thighs in a big pot of water. I used some of the cooked meat for chicken taco meat (which is in the freezer) and froze the rest of the meat plain (maybe for chicken enchilada dip again?). Later in the afternoon, I also made homemade chicken broth from the bones and skins. I freeze the broth in muffin tins and then put the "discs" in a freezer bag. Each disc is about 1/4 cup, so it's super easy to pull broth out of the freezer for a meal (like Cheeseburger Soup).

Homemade chicken broth ready for the freezer!
While the chicken was boiling, I made two pounds of taco meat with homemade seasoning. I used some of the meat to make eight freezer burritos with corn tortillas for myself (I only put in meat and cheese...I'm boring like that! I'll top them with sour cream when I eat them.). I froze the rest of the taco meat in meal size portions for convenience.

Taco meat - ready to thaw, heat and eat!

After the chicken and taco meat, I made a big batch of homemade pizza sauce. I left some in the fridge and froze the rest of it. This stuff really is good! And it's not very difficult to make.

Yummm...homemade pizza sauce!
After all of that, I took a break to have a snack and put my feet up!

Stay tuned for Part 2 of my adventure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!