Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cheeseburger Soup Recipe

It was dreary and rainy here today - perfect weather for soup! I love making soup - that's one good thing about fall and winter (There's not too many good things about Wisconsin winters!). I found this recipe last winter and we really liked it.

It's not really that difficult to make. Best of all, it makes a lot, which means we'll get multiple lunches and dinners out of it!

I really do encourage you to make your own chicken broth. I am convinced that my soup turned out so well tonight because I used homemade chicken broth. I made a huge batch awhile back and put it in the freezer. Homemade broth is so incredibly rich and definitely healthier than store-bought broth!

I am learning that making some products at home isn't as difficult as I thought. Homemade chicken broth was simple and tastes delicious. My homemade pizza sauce was great - I'm making more this week! I also made homemade taco sauce for my husband. We're definitely eating better these days!

Cheeseburger Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 pound hamburger
  • 1 medium onion
  • frozen mixed vegetables (I used about 8 oz.)
  • 3-4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 tsp. parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. basil
  • 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth (Try homemade! It's easy, I promise.)
  • 4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 1/3 cup flour (A gluten-free flour can definitely be used!)
  • 2 cups milk
  • about 8 oz. cheese, any kind
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
  1. Saute hamburger and onion; drain fat.
  2. In large stockpot, combine together: meat & onions, vegetables, potatoes, parsley, basil and chicken broth.
  3. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low temperature, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  4. In a sauce pot, melt butter. Add in flour and stir until smooth.
  5. Stir milk into butter & flour mixture slowly. Add cheese.
  6. Add milk & cheese mixture to soup in stockpot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Heat through again and serve.
This soup tastes great with butterhorns (or a slice of Udi's bread) served on the side!

2 comments:

  1. We're gonna make this tomorrow! Headed to the store, anyway, so will pick up the rest of the ingreds.

    Found you via the link at "MoneySaving Mom," and really like the name of your blog, so came on over. So glad I did! :-)


    Mrs. R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous - I hope it was delicious - we love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!