It's not really that difficult to make. Best of all, it makes a lot, which means we'll get multiple lunches and dinners out of it!
I really do encourage you to make your own chicken broth. I am convinced that my soup turned out so well tonight because I used homemade chicken broth. I made a huge batch awhile back and put it in the freezer. Homemade broth is so incredibly rich and definitely healthier than store-bought broth!
I am learning that making some products at home isn't as difficult as I thought. Homemade chicken broth was simple and tastes delicious. My homemade pizza sauce was great - I'm making more this week! I also made homemade taco sauce for my husband. We're definitely eating better these days!
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 medium onion
- frozen mixed vegetables (I used about 8 oz.)
- 3-4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth (Try homemade! It's easy, I promise.)
- 4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup flour (A gluten-free flour can definitely be used!)
- 2 cups milk
- about 8 oz. cheese, any kind
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute hamburger and onion; drain fat.
- In large stockpot, combine together: meat & onions, vegetables, potatoes, parsley, basil and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to low temperature, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- In a sauce pot, melt butter. Add in flour and stir until smooth.
- Stir milk into butter & flour mixture slowly. Add cheese.
- Add milk & cheese mixture to soup in stockpot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat through again and serve.