Monday, May 30, 2011

Life in a Small Town... {Part 2}

{Read Part 1 of this series HERE.}

Since we moved here, I have begun to appreciate life in a small town. Most importantly, we are being obedient to God’s calling in our lives, even though it isn’t what we thought we should do.

Then again, who are we to choose what we get to do?!

We’ve been blessed with not one, but two, caring and loving congregations. We’ve been blessed with a four bedroom house in the “country” on four acres of land to rent for the past year (for a great price!). We’ve been blessed with a part-time job for me through the local school district, making a difference in many disadvantaged kids’ lives here. We have been blessed.

With nearly one year of small town life under my belt, I have begun to recognize some of the benefits of life here. Sure, there are some downsides…but we can talk about those some other time!

1.       You spend less. Let’s face it. When the only stores in town are Dollar General and Kwik Trip, you don’t shop as much. You learn to plan your shopping trips much more carefully. And if you don’t have something, you make do without it! When shopping means one or two hours of driving round trip, you just don’t shop as often. Spending less is great for your budget!
2.       You’re bombarded by media less. When I travel to a larger town or city, I actually feel like I’m being attacked by too much media. I get overwhelmed much more easily now since I’m not around much media on a regular basis. And when you don’t have media encouraging you to buy something, you’ll spend less money!
3.       Life is simple. When Friday night entertainment consists of the local high school football game or the high school’s musical, or relaxing at home, life is just more simple!

Do we want to live in a small town the rest of our lives? Do we want to raise our family in a small town? Probably not. However, during this season of our lives, small town life is just what need!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!