Friday, February 17, 2012

2012 Buy Prices = Cleaning, food storage, laundry, paper products and pet


Two weeks ago, I shared my buy prices for meat, product, dairy and frozen items. Last week, I shared my prices for pantry items, snack foods and beverages. This week, we'll look at my target prices for various household items, including cleaning products, food storage, paper products and pet items.

Don't forget...

Please remember that these are my buy prices - not yours! Our prices may be similar on some items and vastly different on other items. I live in a very rural area - for higher quality, better stores, I drive 30 minutes. It's over an hour to Target!

I keep a mental list of my buy prices and can look back at my Super Savings Saturday posts to find prices for items. I encourage you to pay attention to the sales and the prices you regularly pay for products in your area to find your buy prices.

When I find an item on sale that meets my buy price (or is lower), I buy extra - however many my budget will allow. Knowing my buy prices also means that I know at which stores I generally buy certain items. I do occasionally pay more than my buy price for item depending on the circumstances, but I try not to do that unless I really have to. It's all about what fits in the budget in a given month!

For comparison on how prices have changed in the past twelve months, take a look back at my 2011 prices.

Cleaning Products
  • Dish soap - $0.05 per oz. or less. I prefer Dawn...
  • Dishwasher detergent - $0.10-$0.15 per load (I always purchase tabs or pacs).
  • All-purpose cleaner - $0.50 for 22 oz. bottle.
  • Disinfectant wipes - $0.02-$0.04 per wipe.
  • Toilet bowl cleaner - under $1.
  • Window cleaner - I've never purchased window cleaner...
  • Air freshener and candles - I only purchase these items when they are free with sales or other promotions.
  • Trash bags - Less than $0.10 per bag.

Food Storage
  • Plastic storage bags
    • Sandwich bags - $0.02 per bag.
    • Quart size freezer bags - $0.05 per bag.
    • Gallon size freezer bags - $0.05-$0.08 per bag.
    • Regular gallon size bags - less than $0.05 per bag.
  • Food Saver rolls - I purchase mine on Amazon. I prefer the 8 in. by 20 in. rolls and they come in a three pack for about $26, so $8.67 per roll.
  • Plastic wrap - $1.50 per roll (300 sq. ft.).
  • Foil - about $2 for 50 sq. ft of heavy duty foil.
  • Wax paper - $1 for 50 sq. ft.
Laundry Products
  • Laundry detergent - $0.04 per oz.
  • Dryer sheets - $0.01 per sheet.
  • Fabric softener (liquid, crystals) - I only purchase these items when they are free.
  • Stain remover - $1.50-$2 per bottle (I purchase only Shout).
Paper Products
  • Tissues - $0.01-$0.02 per tissue.
  • Paper towels - less than $0.50 per roll. (I have mostly eliminated the use of paper towels in our home.)
  • Napkins - less than $0.01 per napkin.
  • Toilet paper - less than $0.20 per single roll.
  • Disposable plates - less than $0.10 for higher-quality plastic plates (I generally do not purchase disposable plates).
Pet Products
  • Dog food - I aim for less than $0.75 per lb.
  • Dog treats - $1.25 per box (Aldi).
  • Cat items - We don't have a cat (I'm allergic), so I can't speak for cat items.
Batteries
  • AAA - $0.18-$0.25 per battery.
  • AA - $0.18-$0.25 per battery.
  • C or D - $0.40-$0.50 per battery.
  • 9V - $2-$2.50 per battery.

1 comment:

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!