Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Top 10 series: the top 10 health and beauty items I do not buy


Inspired by recent discussion at Money Saving Mom.com about the top items that people should buy or should not buy, I am running a series in April and May about the top 10 things I purchase or don't purchase regularly.

Some of the points are actual physical items; other points are a bit more broad. In many cases, the reason I purchase a specific item is because we have a brand preference - and we choose to save money elsewhere in the budget so we can afford that specific item!

In May, I will share the top 10 things I do not purchase in four different categories: food, household products, health and beauty products and other miscellaneous products around the home.

These lists will be based on my opinions and my purchasing habits. Each individual and family will have different priorities for how money is spent. If your priorities are different, that's okay!

Here are the top 10 health and beauty items that I do not purchase, in no specific order:

1. Specialty shampoo or conditioner - For myself, I usually buy the cheaper shampoo and conditioner products. I am not picky about it, as long as my hair is clean! It is important to note: Since we moved to a rural area about two years ago, I have {mostly} given up playing the "Drugstore Game."

2. Name-brand contact solution - Target brand contact solution works perfectly fine for me and is less than half the cost of name brand.

3. Name-brand medication - Generic medications have always worked well for us; I've never seen the need to purchase name-brand medications (unless, of course, they are free!).

4. Make-up - I am very minimal when it comes to make-up: a bit of foundation and some lip balm, and I'm set. This is not an area where I choose to spend much money.

5. Expensive manual toothbrushes - I aim for about $0.50 per manual toothbrush (or less). The average toothbrush cleans my teeth just as well as an expensive one.

6. Travel size items - I am able to obtain most of the travel items we need by requesting samples online or by getting the item for free after a coupon (when there are no size exclusions).

7. At-home or salon hair color - I choose not to color my hair, which creates significant savings.

8. Make-up remover - I use a basic facial cleanser to wash my face at night and have never had a need for a specific make-up remover product. Granted (per #4 above), I don't wear much make-up!

9. Hair detangler - Hair detangler is so easy to make at home! Save a spray bottle and fill it almost full with water. Then add 1-2 teaspoons of conditioner. Shake well and spray on hair!

10. Other hair products (mousse, gel, etc.) - My hair care routine is very simple. I only use a touch of hairspray daily and skip other products like mousse and gel.

To catch up on the previous installments in this series:

  1. the top 10 food products I buy
  2. the top 10 household products I buy
  3. the top 10 health and beauty products I buy
  4. the top 10 items around the house that I buy
  5. the top 10 food products I do not buy
  6. the top 10 household products I do not buy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!