Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top 10 Series: the top 10 household items I do not buy


Inspired by recent discussion at Money Saving Mom.com about the top items that people should buy or should not buy, I am running a series in April and May about the top 10 things I purchase or don't purchase regularly.

Some of the points are actual physical items; other points are a bit more broad. In many cases, the reason I purchase a specific item is because we have a brand preference - and we choose to save money elsewhere in the budget so we can afford that specific item!

In May, I will share the top 10 things I do not purchase in four different categories: food, household products, health and beauty products and other miscellaneous products around the home.

These lists will be based on my opinions and my purchasing habits. Each individual and family will have different priorities for how money is spent. If your priorities are different, that's okay!

Here are the top 10 household products that I do not purchase, in no specific order:


1. Disinfecting wipes - I generally only purchase disinfecting wipes when I get them for about $0.02 per wipe. I enjoy the convenience of wipes, but they cost far too much to use regularly. For most of my cleaning, I use all-purpose spray cleaner with a microfiber rag.

2. Laundry detergent - Yes, I buy laundry detergent! However, I don't spend much on laundry detergent. I aim for about $0.04 per ounce (liquid) and I use far less than the recommended amount for each load. As long as my clothes are clean, I'm a happy camper!

3. Liquid fabric softener - I have never understood the purpose of fabric softener! I absolutely never spend money on fabric softener, although I do currently have some that I received for product tests.

4. Dryer sheets - Recently, I've been air-drying our clothes and then "tossing" them in the dryer for about 10 minutes to release the wrinkles and remove the static (this practice has shaved about $15 off our electric bill!). I use a half dryer sheet per load. Dryer sheets are usually fairly cheap (about a penny each) with coupons at Target. I do find that we need at least a half sheet in with our clothes because I can't stand static cling!

5. All-purpose cleaner - I use all-purpose cleaner regularly, but always stock up for about $0.50 per bottle. I'm not loyal to any brand, so I'll use whatever brand is offering a deal. I also use cleaner sparingly, so it lasts quite a long time.

6. Paper towels - We are nearly paper towel-free at our house! I estimate that we use approximately four rolls per year now. I use rags for dishes and cleaning and save paper towels for grease & a few other nasty messes that we may have. I usually buy the cheap paper towels for about $0.75 per roll.

7. Sponges - I personally find sponges to be disgusting. I stick to rags that can be washed frequently.

8. Disposable plates and silverware - I am also anti-disposable plates and silverware (much to my husband's dismay!). I find them to be so wasteful, and I'd rather use the nice stoneware that we received for our wedding (or my grandma's china!). We do keep some disposable items on hand for picnics or when we are moving.

9. Rinse aid for dishwasher - I have never used rinse aid and my dishes and glasses are always sparkling clean. I've never even tried the vinegar idea - I simply don't use any rinse aid!

10. Air fresheners - I only use air fresheners when I am able to get them for free! I like having them around the house, but they are not something on which I am willing to spend money.

To catch up on the previous installments in this series:
  1. the top 10 food products I buy
  2. the top 10 household products I buy
  3. the top 10 health and beauty products I buy
  4. the top 10 items around the house that I buy
  5. the top 10 food products I do not buy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!