Saturday, March 10, 2012

Organizing the filing cabinet


One of my major goals for 2012 was to organize our two drawer filing cabinet. This was no easy feat - but I am happy to report that it is done!

In order to overhaul the filing cabinet, I resolve to work on a few files each week until the project was done. I truly think that this approach is what helped me get this project done. If I had told myself to go in the second bedroom and organize the filing cabinet in one afternoon, it never would have happened! It would have been so overwhelming that I would have avoided it at all costs!

Instead, I chose to work on just a few files per week (as part of my weekly goals). I typically spent less than one hour each week on this project and I completed it in about eight weeks!

We already a lot (and I mean A LOT) of files in the cabinet and they simply needed to be cleaned out and organized. In the process, I was able to throw away and shred many papers. I relocated other papers to more appropriate folders.

Because we are self-employed and have a housing allowance (because my husband is clergy), it is imperative that we keep solid records of our bills and receipts. When I reorganized the filing cabinet, I separated our utility bills, receipts and other paperwork - now I can find any paper in a matter of seconds!

If you have any other questions about my organizational system in the filing cabinet, please ask in the comments section!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you! Please let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!